During the cold season, our faces and hands are directly exposed to the dry air. It’s important to create a proper winter routine to protect your skin long-term.
In the winter, your skin is exposed to harsh weather. This can dry out your skin, making it flaky, tight and dull-looking. When the weather is freezing, the pores in your skin shrink considerably, causing heat to accumulate inside the skin and cause oily skin. To help combat these environmental effects, follow a skin care regimen that is best suited for the cold weather, and that means putting extra attention on moisturising!
Here are some tips to protect your skin this winter:
- Choose the moisturiser that works best for winter. A great winter facial moisturiser enhances the moisture content of your skin while also improving its smoothness, reducing fine lines and wrinkles, and improving the texture of your skin.
- Fight dryness by hydrating as much as you do during summer. Dry air, drying heat and cold weather can have an adverse effect on the skin, causing it to become increasingly dry and itchy. If left untreated for too long the effects can even be uncomfortable for you to endure.
- Protect your skin from the sun. Protecting your skin from harmful UV rays is important year-round, but it’s especially important during winter.
- Avoid extremely hot showers and baths. Hot showers tend to overdry our skin and also remove the natural oils that keep our skin healthy. The best way to go is to take a lukewarm shower or bath.
- Using a humidifier. This can be a great tool to avoid the air in your house getting too dry.
- Apply moisturiser after showering. Lock in hydration by applying moisturiser immediately after drying your skin. Using this technique will get the best results for hydrated skin.